Welcome to 2016!
My first “year” as a TV writer is complete, and boy what a year! The last time I checked in with this kind of journey post I was in “Year 12” and now…I get to start over the count! That feels good.
So here’s a recap of 2015. Most of these items will be expanded in greater detail in the next month or two, as I have A LOT I want to blog about (and hiatus free time to do it)
- January – Finished my year as a writers’ assistant on “The 100” Season 2. Wrote up a series of posts about my experiences with Social Media and Fandom.
- February and March – Worked on a new pilot sample with Julie to prep for staffing. Hoped and prayed to get staffed on “The 100” for Season 3.
- March – Got staffed with Julie on “The 100.” Experienced euphoria which is described pretty well in a prior blog post.
- April 5th – Attended Wondercon. Enjoyed the hell out of it.
- April 6th – First day as a goddamned TV writer.
- April/May – Joined the WGA and had the honor of paying the initial fee!
- May – The loquat tree down the street was savagely pruned back. Many wept.
- June/July – Toiling away in the writers room. Many friends begin to suspect we are being held hostage (meaning, we don’t see much of our friends).
- July – San Diego Comic Con! I finally see my friends! Attend the panel for the show with a packed Ballroom 20.
- August – Sent to Vancouver to our set for the first time to oversee production of episode 304. Unexpectedly extended stay for a week to cover the first half of filming 305 (total visit: 16 days)
- September – Sent to Vancouver the second time to cover the second half of 306, all of 307…and then extended to cover 308 (total visit: 27 days)
- September – “Emma Approved” the digital series Julie and I wrote 7 episodes for WON A FREAKING EMMY!
- October – Julie and I are assigned to write episode 313, our first episode of television!
- November/December – Head back to Vancouver for production of our episode…I get extended to oversee the first half of 314 (total visit: 17 days) I spent 60 days in Vancouver in 2015.
- December – Hiatus begins. Holidays arrive. 2015 ends.
So. It was a busy year for us! In the coming weeks, I have posts planned about the following topics:
- Life as a Staff Writer – Things no one really prepares you for, and I probably will fall short too but will try.
- Set Visits – A practical guide for writers who visit a film or TV set
- Writing an Episode of TV – Lessons learned, hopefully to help you learn
- Social Media and Fandom: The Sequel – SO MANY NEW LESSONS! (With charts and graphs!!)
Those are just a few of the things I’m cooking up for the next two months. My goal is a new post each week starting the week of January 18th (I’ll see if I can throw something on the blog next Monday, but I’ll be traveling next week, so may not have time to finish the first of these posts) and it is likely that these topics will cover multiple posts each, because I do get wordy.
If you’ve any other notions of what you’d like to see me talk about, leave me a comment! Happy to try to answer any and all writing questions I can!
Here’s hoping we all have a great 2016 — Make the most of the time you’ve got. Get writing!
Posted under writing
This post was written by Shawna on January 5, 2016